Sunday, May 16, 2010

Umm........




What the heck do you put on a blog? I keep waiting for something genius to come to me, but that ain't happening.
And how do you just post pictures? Do you have to do it with a comment? I'm old and confused...I am a technological retard.
Oh well...for now I'll just post a picture with each comment! Lol..So...
this picture is of the baby shower cake I made for my stepdaughter.
It was dark chocolate buttermilk cake with fresh strawberry truffle filling and cream cheese frosting. Mmmm...
The little baby was made from fondant, and was the first time I had ever used fondant. I was a little intimidated at first, but it was actually fun. I also learned that fondant needs a lot longer drying time than the couple days I allowed it. My stars and moon were also made from fondant, and I had a lot of trouble with them drooping.

3 comments:

  1. that baby is too cute for words! I can't believe that was your first attempt with fondant, it looks great! I find with stars and things shooting out of your cake, if you roll the fondant fairly then, use 18gauge craft wire, and sandwich it in between two fondant cutouts, it holds up pretty well. just make sure to twist the top of the craft wire into a little ring so there is more of it to grab on to. Ok, I suck at explaining, but here is a good video explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwyPx61Ka7w&playnext_from=TL&videos=84yZlEtJvnQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...no, you explained it well. :-) I actually did the rolling thin and sandwiching between the wire...I think my big mistake was refrigerating it (DUH...yea, I know) thinking it would dry it faster. Haha...yes, major dingbat moment. It just added a lot of moisture to it, of course, and made it just about impossible to dry out. I won't do that again. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol.....oh.... I did that to Cara's birthday cake. quickly learned that the fondant hates the refrigerator :( You still did an amazing job girl!

    ReplyDelete