Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ahh...Summer







I have mixed feelings about summer. I love it because the kids are out of school (although that feeling ends after a few days of having them all home), and because we can be a lot more flexible. I love all the in season produce...fresh berries being among my favorites. I like that the days are longer. I love the beachy smells...tan lotion, salty air...unfortunately we live nowhere near a beach. ;-) I love taking my kids swimming and watching all the fun they have.
But I hate...and I do mean *hate* the heat that comes along with it. Sweat and I are not friends. When temperatures outside exceed 80º, I start to panic. And when my stupid air isn't working right, and temps on the INSIDE reach 70º...I start to freak.
(I tend to ramble, so just bear with me)
Summer is a yummy time for cakes...think fresh peaches & cream cake, summery lemon cake with fresh raspberries, orange cake with creamy orange frosting...Mmmm...this time of year, cakes should preferrably be kept on the lighter side. Nothing too terribly heavy or rich. (Even though when you're me, heavy and rich is an all year good thing.)


It's also a good season for pies. Time to trade in those wonderful spicy pumpkin and sweet potato pies (my favorites) for fresh blackberry cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream, strawberry pie, and delicious and summery raspberry cream pie.
Fresh Blueberry pie topped with a dollop of freshly whipped cream is one of the best in my opinion, and perfect for Memorial Day cookouts.

My idea of a perfect summer day cookout:

Marinated Grilled BBQ Chicken Breasts
BBQ Sausage
Homemade Potato Salad
Tangy Bacon Baked Beans
Crisp/Tender Sauteed Asparagus
Italian Pasta Salad
Fresh Fruit Salad, tossed w/lime juice, a little sugar, and some ginger
And last, but not least...
A big ol' Fresh Blueberry Pie.

This is definitely going to be my menu for the holiday. I'll post the Blueberry Pie recipe, and if you'd like any of the others, just comment and I'll post it for you. :-)

Happy Hot, Humid, Sticky Summer!!




Fresh Blueberry Pie
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I like to make my own crust, but for convenience the Pillsbury crusts that you unfold are great. You need one pkg. (2 crusts)

Filling:

2/3 cup to 1 cup sugar, depending on your taste

1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour

3/4 tsp. cinnamon

4 cups (or more if you like) fresh blueberries

2 tablespoons butter (real butter is always best)

Press one crust into a 9 inch pie plate. Crimp edges. Do not bake. Preheat oven to 375º.

Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the blueberries in a large bowl. Toss lightly to coat well. Spoon into unbaked pie crust. Dot with butter. Moisten edges of pastry with water.

Cover pie with top crust, cut slits in top to allow steam to escape. (You can be creative and adventurous and try a lattice crust, but it's a pain.)

Beat an egg with 1 Tablespoon of water and lightly brush over the top crust. Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, til filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown. You might need to cover the edges of the pie crust with foil to prevent overbrowning.

Cool til barely warm or room temp before serving.

♥♥ENJOY!♥♥



No comments:

Post a Comment