Sunday, May 16, 2010

A few more cakes. :-)











Okay...so here are a few of my fancier cakes. I wish I had more pictures. But I didn't think about photographing them in the beginning. Everything I've done so far has been with buttercream or cream cheese frosting (bases...they can be all kinds of flavors).




I'm not a huge fan of fondant. I'll use it if insisted upon, but I don't care for the taste. I've made some homemade marshmallow fondant (Thanks to my cousin Sara, for the recipe!) and it's far more palatable, but in my opinion, you can't go wrong with a smooth, creamy frosting. Real butter, real vanilla, cream, pure cane powdered sugar, rich cream cheese and various other flavorings just always taste best, hands down. And I think you can achieve a beautiful, smooth look as well.
The 'Thomas the Train' cake was for a friend's little boy's birthday. It was a fun one to make. Just simple chocolate buttermilk cake with vanilla buttercream and chocolate buttercream (for the fence, track, and tree trunks).


My stepdaughter's cake was a double chocolate butter cake filled and frosted with cream cheese frosting. This was my first attempt at a semi large wedding cake. Her wedding colors were a little on the difficult side to work with, I was afraid it was going to end up looking gaudy. Her 'Precious Moments' cake topper was a little bit of a challenge to incorporate, too....it was all pastel, which doesn't pair too well with the brighter colors. So I tried to bring them together with the blue stars. She loved it, and that was all that mattered. :-)


The black and white cake was for my niece's wedding. There's a picture of it before being finished up with rose petals, and after. The topper she chose was beautiful, too. Her cake was fresh lemon, filled with lemon buttercream and raspberry jam, then frosted with vanilla buttercream. Really good combination.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your train cake! I might be stealing that concept in the future :) I am making my brother's wedding cake too, they want one similar to your cake you made. I might just have to fly you out here to help me with it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so all of these look amazing! They sound sooo yummy... I want some cake now, bad!! :) Great job!
    ~Amanda Jones~ :) Don't know how to get my blog thing to pop up! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. jennifer74thomas@yahoo.comMay 17, 2010 at 12:54 PM

    Sara...you'll do such a great job. You won't need me at all. ;-) Which cake? The black and white? I love that combo. Very classy looking.

    Amanda...you're so cute..lol. If I still lived close I promise I would bring you some cake. :-) Pregnant women gotta have cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cakes! I'm very impressed! And did you just teach yourself everything you know? Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking the train cake for a birthday cake, and your wedding cake is very similar to the cake my brother wants....don't you want to come visit some of your favorite cousins in MS and help me with it ;)

    ReplyDelete