Saturday, May 29, 2010

Spaced Out

No, this is not a description of me. Well, maybe. A little. Sometimes.
Anyway...I'm finally posting some pictures of the finished outer space birthday cake I made for my son.

I will say that it didn't turn out exactly as I had planned. The yellow stars on the black cake are not at all what I imagined. But, I was really tired, and I knew my son wouldn't care a whole lot about the stars. ;-)

So, here it is...the making and completion of the space cake.



Rice Krispy planets, covered in marshmallow fondant. Okay, so they don't look a whole lot like any planets *I* recognize. It's okay. I just made up some new ones. ;)













Swirly cake batter...pre-baked and post-baked.







Fondant stars that I had to free hand, dangit, because my sweet little 3 year old lost my star cutter.











Bottom layer was supposed to look something like the sun. ;-)








And finally...the finished cake.









My sweet birthday boy, blowing out his candles...








And wow...it was for sure a colorful cake. If I ever do another one, I won't go quite so crazy with the drizzling colors. It's a little messy. :-)


All in all, this was a fun cake to make. It's fun to just get creative and colorful with something and not really have any restrictions. It was cool having two different flavors of cake as well. I'm a certified chocoholic, but I have to say that the french vanilla butter cake with that vanilla maple buttercream frosting was my favorite. Sooo good. That was the first time I'd ever thought to make my vanilla buttercream with the addition of maple extract. You have to go careful, so you don't overwhelm it. You just want a subtle taste of maple. Yum! :-)

1 comment: